Translate

Monday, 24 September 2012

Socialists, Socialists everywhere










Today I had my first lecture and seminar, where I met the people I would be studying with for the next 4 years of my pitiful life. As I arrived at the Lee's lecture hall, I noticed it was full. Casually, I wandered in unafraid that I may have arrived late. I sat down as the Student Union told us how awesome they apparently were, and why we should all vote Labour. A part of me died inside as I realised I was the only conservative in the room.

As the lecture proceeded I decided to check my timetable, and to my horror noticed I was in the wrong lecture. A large chunk of me died. Half an hour later I was in a new lecture, the one I was actually supposed to be in. Realizing I was at last in an Economics group, I began to feel happy and warm inside. Then I released as the student Union hippie lady spoke, that this was actually a meeting for more socialists.

Having survived two lectures by socialist students, I went to my first seminar where I was greeted by a man asking me what school I went to. I responded saying to the Professor "I went to a private school" and it just so happened that I said this in one of those awkward silences that occasional sweeps a room. Naturally everyone heard, and I was judged immediately as being a posh, rich twat. This was probably a correct assumption, but I fear nothing, and my years of upper class training kicked in. I adopted a stiff upper lip, and sat back down.

Over the next few moments, the anti rich jokes came thick and fast, until I silenced them all asking one simple question:




"Why are you studying a finance course at University, if not to become rich?"


The silence was appealing, as my fellow course mates realized the tragic truth of my words. We have since reached a non-verbal, mutual agreement: I will not mention exactly why they are doing this course, and they in return will not kill me in my sleep.

I personally think it is a good agreement.

This is Aaron Newbury, reporting on his first day of uni!

No comments:

Post a Comment