Translate

Saturday, 4 August 2012

How we fall for the garbage big companies sell us.

Today I am going to go on a bit of a rant, a bit of a business and economical rant, so turn away now if numbers and common sense scare you.

Everyday huge amounts of total garbage we really do not actually need are sold, here are some numbers:

40 Million bottles of water,
1.7 Billion cans of Coca Cola,
2.4 Billion cans of Pepsi,
1 Billion Sandwiches
3 Billion Newspapers.

It really is worrying that every single day people walk past their perfectly nice tap and think to themselves "You know what? Today I think I shall go out and get my water in a bottle, not from that lovely tap over there."

And why is that? It's simple, the nice big companies smack a big sign saying "Mountain Pure! Glacial Spring water straight from the teats of Rishnu herself!". And we, being total morons go "Hell, why not, it only costs on average £3.40 per liter of Bottled water in the UK!"

That's right, recent figures show the average price of a liter of bottled water (that stuff that falls from the sky almost every day) is £3.40.

Lets do the maths:

Average cost of a liter of Water (tap): £0.13
Average cost of a liter of Water (bottle): £3.40

You pay extra for this water at: £3.27

So, lets assume I own all the factory run, low labor cost bottled water companies:

40,000,000 x £3.27=  £130,800,000 (One hundred and thirty Million Pounds) a day.

That's what this industry makes daily, subtracting the cost of the water that you all don't get out your taps because its not 'Glacial'.

That's: 47.74200 billion British pounds A YEAR!


If I made a product tomorrow and called it 'BabyChow: Turn your toddler into a waddler' it wouldn't sell. However, I stick a cute picture of a plump child on the front and call it:

Baby Chow: Turn you toddler into a cute ball of fun! Results Guaranteed!


I would sell millions, and nobody would bat an eyelid, if I sold it in America and had Disney sponsor it in a cartoon, they would love me. Why? It has a cute picture on the front, its for your kids, it can't be dangerous?!


So, this is just a little reminder from me, to stop buying crap you don't need.




Aaron Newbury

2 comments:

  1. Just because you don't like fizzy drinks doesn't mean they're garbage too :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not saying they where garbage in the sense that they are 'bad'. I was just making the point that we all pay far to much for something that really doesn't do much.

    ReplyDelete